Scratching coming from your attic, walls or chimney is most likely caused by mice, rats, bats, squirrels, opossums, or raccoons.
If you hear:
- loud vocalizations, thumping or scratching noises in the attic or walls, mainly during the day, you may have a raccoon.
- small scratching sounds, or the sound of a small animal running (especially at night), you may have mice or rats.
- high-pitched “chirps” or small rustling movements in the attic or walls, you may have bats. The insulation in buildings typically muffles the sounds of bats, so often you won’t know you have bats unless you see them.
- scurrying, bumps or muffled movement in the attic or walls, mainly at night, you may have a tree squirrel.
- noises coming from the chimney, you may have birds, tree squirrels or raccoons.
- scratching or chewing noises coming from the base of walls, you may have mice or rats or chipmunks or ground squirrels. Small scratching or chewing noises along walls or ceiling tends to be mice or rats. Small holes outside the home near foundations or under sidewalks are often used by chipmunks and ground squirrels.
The species pages above have information about Damage Prevention and Control measures specific to each species.